Friday, January 4, 2013

More on France: Verdun and Strasburg

It’s late Friday night and I’m tired and frustrated.  Maybe some of you are, too.  Well, we both know what the answer is, right?  Go to bed … LOL!  I will soon. J
I’m sitting here with a cup of hot coco, wondering what I want to write about.  I had picked up the guitar just a bit ago and played a few songs.  But, I don’t have the energy to turn the whole system on and really get into it.  Guess that’s another sign that I should “go to bed!”
But, being a night owl, that’s not an option; at least not for another hour.
I was thinking about what else to tell you, in a few paragraphs, about France before I jump into talking about Paris.  I was really stunned by the Verdun area: how blasted it was during WWI.  How you still can’t walk in some of the woods (they are woods again now after being just blasted dirt back then) because of the unexploded ordinance and shells in the ground.  The museum is solemn, but very complete, explaining much of the history leading up to events in the area.  The whole thing is just amazing to me.  I don’t want to go into any details because you need to be specific on things.  You just can’t say “The Germans did this” and “the French did that” because not all Germans were involved, as well as not all French likewise.  However, there is a pattern of villainizing the other on both sides that made such a conflict easier to support.  It’s a sad, repeating portrait in history to “create an enemy” so that you can do battle with them and hope to defeat them.
[A side comment on that … I just saw the movie “Lincoln” and it actually brought up that point.  His son was so disgusted and upset with the atrocities being perpetrated on “our boys” (paraphrased) that he insisted on joining up to fight the South: another example of this pattern.]
So, that was the sad part of that area.  The interesting part is that over the centuries that section of land has changed hands between France and Germany many times, resulting in a merging of cultures.  I think back to the Inn Keeper at the Comfort Inn in Strasburg.  He was a delightfully cheerful fellow who could speak three languages very well: French, German, and English.  And, for what languages he didn’t know, there was someone else on staff that might.  He and Liane would have a lively talk in French to each other.  Then a German couple came in and he had a lively chat with them. After which I, needing change for a 10 spot for the machines, had a pleasant chat in English with him.  I’d stop by there again anytime (besides the fact it was just off the Tram line, making it an easy point to go into town from).
Now that’s another interesting point about the trip:  transportation was excellent.  Trains, buses, trams, metro lines, even taxis … all so accessible and well done.  And almost everything was on time, with displays showing what’s coming and in how long.  It was really nice.
I suppose you world travelers are chuckling at my silliness.  Yes, I’ve had a semi-sheltered life: my only trip outside the States was a tour of duty in Southeast Asia.  But, I guess my point being, again, that I met many wonderful people who made the trip so magical.
Enough for tonight.  I wish you all sweet dreams … and have fun, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment