Saturday, January 5, 2013

Minnesota Performers

Well, I’m taking a break from stories of France because today was a special day and it made me think about another topic: performers.
Why today?  Well, first off, a good associate of mine died several weeks ago after a long, three year battle with ALS.  Then, today we buried one of my wife’s cousins who came down with ALS not more than a year ago.  She went very quickly towards the end.
So, what has this to do with performers?  Well, her cousin was well loved.  And as a tribute to her at her service a father/daughter team sang two songs, her on the guitar and he on the mandolin. They have obviously done this before.  She had a fantastically sweet voice and was excellent on the guitar.  And he was pretty darn good with harmony and playing the mandolin.
There is so much wonderful talent in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.  However, I suspect these two came from the North Shore, Duluth area, since that’s where my wife’s cousin has been living.  And the North Shore (of Lake Superior, for those who were wondering) is not lacking in talent.  Michael Monroe, one of my favorite MN singer/songwriters, hails from that neck of the wood (but he’s not the Finnish rock star Michael M).  And, there are so many others.

And, the talent is abundant all over the world.  This is an incredible time for music in the history of Mankind.  And with the Internet and inexpensive hardware/software, production and distribution is almost too easy.
So, what’s the big deal?  Well, regardless of how I come across, I understand that I am no great shakes vocally and performance-wise.  I do have my “style” on the 12-string.  But, I really envy people who can pick a mean guitar or play the piano like they were born with it.

There are times when I feel so out-of-it, or full-of-it, or just plain foolish.  Just another person trying to be heard in that great cacophony of people trying to get heard.
Then, I get this notice asking me to play (in Second Life) on Feb 10th at 7pm PST for an hour at a benefit to “Be the Match” for bone marrow transplants and I feel invigorated again.
Isn’t Life (and Second Life) wonderful?!
So, final edit going in just after midnight.  And, I’m shutting down for some shut-eye.  Remember to have fun .. anywhere, in any life.

No comments:

Post a Comment