Monday, January 7, 2013

Paris – Some Impressions

After those last few detours, I’m back to writing about France, and Paris in particular.  Now, I’m not going into a travel-log, though we went to many notable places.  But, rather, I want to talk about my impressions.  And the fact that I may have located where my song, "Je Suis l’Amour," could have taken place.
So, impressions.  I felt like I was in a special place (as I was).  I could feel it under my feet, through my eyes, in my ears .. . it was wonderful.  As a side note, it would have been even better if I could read the signs.  But, that limitation (on my part) almost melted away by the 4th day.  Things that were strange and new because familiar and comfortable.  The chatter between people started to have depth and feeling.  I started to understand, just a little, but enough to feel at ease.
I often chuckle when thinking about the waiter who did not speak English.  My wife had a little cheat-sheet of words for food preparation, since I like my beef very well done (it’s biological … you don’t want to know what beef juice does to me, and quickly).  So, we stumbled through our order, he nodded and soon brought us just what we had ordered.  I had picked up some courtesies from Liane.  So, when I signaled for the check, he brought it over, dropped it off and winked at me.  Haha.  I knew he understood all along.
And, there was the old man (I have to be careful who I call “old” .. he may have been only a few years older than me) sitting at the bus stop.  He wasn’t waiting for a bus.  He was just sitting there.  He engaged me in conversation, talking about restaurants we might enjoy and how much he was thankful for General Patton.  All the time, he talked with a casual toss of his hand in a tired, humored voice.  I do not think I treated him well.  I actually was a little afraid of him.  So, as soon as the bus came, I bid him good day and jumped on the bus.
Now, on the bus, we met another interesting person.  She was from Montreal and was in Paris visiting her male friend.  She was very helpful in providing directions for getting back to our hotel, since not all the bus lines were running.  Was it Sunday?  Not sure. Anyway, we made it back just fine with her help.
So, for months I had worried about how I would get around in Paris. When the time came, the answer?  Just fine.
Now, about my song.  We went on the boat ride up and down the Seine one evening.  And, I was looking at the shore for two reasons: 1) because I had seen pictures of the house boats docked at the waters edge and 2) I was looking for where my song could have taken place.  I found two likely spots, both in the same general area on le Quai d’Anjou, either near la Rue Poulletier or at the other end of the island, where the road is le Quai de Bourbon, near a small park at the isle tip, both on Ile Saint-Loius.
So many more things come to mind.  But the hour is late and I must post this.  Also another day and another post, right? (Usually). I will continue with more little notes on this magical city.
So, bye for now.  And, remember to have fun … where ever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment